Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year = New You? . . . I don't think so!

How's this look for the new year?
With the coming of not only a new year but a new decade, the Internet is once again flooded with articles about resolutions we should or shouldn't make and advice on how to finally achieve those pullout your hair weight loss and organizational goals. Every year I am tempted to create a brand spanking new me. A new year equals a new you, right? . . . I don't think so!

While I am a huge advocate of using the new year as a jumping off point for bettering ourselves, I think it is an abuse of self to claim we need to completely reinvent ourselves. We are far too fabulous just the way we are!!! Okay so I may not know all of you personally, but every woman is absolutely fabulous even if they don't realize it. So what if you've got a few extra pounds (or a hundred), and your best friend is your cat (Tabitha is a very good listener). Being fabulous isn't about looking a certain way or knowing certain people; it's about loving yourself no matter what.

Dictionary.com defines fabulous as exceptionally good or unusual. Since there is no criteria to interpret this definition, I decided to do my own interpretation.
    Three of my fabulous friends . . . and me of course!
  •  Exceptionally good: This definition doesn't mean you have to be little goodie two shoes or the best in some fame seeking area like sports or acting. Instead it means to be exceptional in our own lives and endeavours. I don't have to win a Pulitzer Prize for one of my articles (wouldn't mind if it happened) in order to be exceptionally good. I just have to do the best I can do, and if worldly praise never follows then so be it.  I am fabulous for the simple reason that I try!
  • Unusual: This one is easy . . . BE YOURSELF!!! I think this was one of the first pieces of advice in almost every self-help book I have ever read. That's because it's the best advice we can ever get. God made each and everyone of us unique. Not only do we have different DNA structures and fingerprints, but we have different body shapes, dreams, and pasts.

The past can be a especially hard thing to deal with or even just remember. However don't just slap your past in the face, no matter how much it deserves it, and say it was worthless. Our past achievements, failures, blessings, and tragedies will always be with us no matter how many times we change our figures, reputations, or identities. I've watched enough Lifetime movies to know that much about life!

I don't like innertubes!


I remember being 11-years-old, minding my own business at the community pool, when literally every guy in my sixth-grade class piled onto an innertube and started splashing towards me calling me "Godzilla's Huge Cow-like Wife." Let's just say I didn't feel so fabulous at that moment. I would love to forget the six years of bullying and depression I went through as a child, but I find those experiences are where I find my independence and strength to help others today. I don't believe God purposefully places pain in our path. However the Bible does promise that he will work all things together for good.

So what is the solution? Do we simply resolve not make a resolution? No! One of my best friends Anna commented that we need a new tradition. Instead of "improving" our already fabulous selves, why don't we start to build-up and take care of ourselves. So for 2011 I resolve to take care of my mind, body, and emotions so I can be the best, most fabulous person I can be. I think that is a New Years resolution I can handle!!!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! I am so proud of you and will be here to help you through it! :) Friends forever and sisters for always!

    ReplyDelete